Confederate Redoubt No. 1

Redoubt No. 1 was featured on the Summer 2004 cover of Hallowed Ground, the magazine of the Civil War Preservation Trust. The CWPT held their annual conference in Nashville in 2004.

Redoubt No. 1 was one of five redoubts built by Hood's Confederate Army as it occupied the countryside south of Nashville in December 1864. These small earthen forts were commonly built early in the War to give the 'citizen soldiers' a sense of security. The forts became a common feature of trench works later during the War.

On the first day of the Battle of Nashville, December 15, the U.S. Army attacked all five forts. Redoubt No. 1 was the last to fall.

This redoubt is one of the last remaining sites of the Battle of Nashville and has been preserved, enhanced, and interpreted by the Battle of Nashville Preservation Society.


Mailing Address:
Battle of Nashville Preservation Society, Inc. PO Box 190493 Nashville TN 37219

Contact Us

Back to BONPS Home Page