Battle of Nashville / Civil War Sites
Battle of Nashville Preservation Society
Downtown Presbyterian Church
(Hospital No. 8)
Next Site

Tour Sites

Downtown Presbyterian Church
Image:

Left: Distinctive towers mark the site of the historic brick church, once used as a military hospital.

Seeing It:
The Downtown Presbyterian Church is located at 154 Fifth Avenune North (corner of Church Street) in downtown Nashville.

Tours of the church are scheduled during the summer. From September to May visitors should call (615) 254-7584 or go to the church office to arrange a tour.

Location Maps.

Church Website

Rare example of Egyptian Revival architecture:
This church was one of many buildings used as hospitals during the Union occupation of the city during the Civil War. It was designated Hospital No. 8 and housed 206 beds.

Originally the First Presbyterian Church, this building (1851) is one of the few examples of Egyptian Revival architecture in the entire country. Notice the Egyptian columns and winged sun disk at the entrance.

The building was designed by William Strickland, a nationally prominent architect, who had come to Nashville to build the state capitol. A visit to the sanctuary, where the Egyptian decorative theme is continued in wall paintings, woodwork, and the stained glass windows, is highly recommended.


Source: Metropolitan Historical Commission

TOP of PAGE

BONPS HOME