Battle of Nashville / Civil War Sites
Battle of Nashville Preservation Society
Historical Markers
Next Site

Tour Sites

All markers are titled “Battle of Nashville,” with appropriate subtitles. Markers are listed as they occur on streets and highways leading out of Nashville, from west to east.

Unfortunately, many markers are difficult to read due to traffic conditions and lack of suitable parking spots. Please drive carefully.

(Note: The serial numbers on each marker are for administrative purposes only and have no historical value.)

N 1 2
Cavalry Action
Dec. 15, 1864

The right of the main Federal defense line crossed Charlotte Pike here. In the opening phase of the battle, mounted and dismounted cavalry of Wilson’s Corps moved out of the Federal works, supporting the advance of Smith’s XVI Corps in a turning movement against the extreme left flank of the Confederate positions.
Location: Charlotte Avenue, between 33rd and 35th avenues.

N 1 1
Cavalry Action
Dec. 15, 1864

Forming the outer arc of the main Federal attack, R.W. Johnson’s 6th Cavalry Division, Wilson’s Corps, here hit Rucker’s Confederate Cavalry Brigade, west of Richland Creek. Withdrawing southward to Harding Road, Rucker held his ground there until bypassing Federal infantry forced further withdrawal to Hillsboro Pike late in the afternoon.
Location: 54th Avenue, west of Richland Creek Bridge

N 1 3
Federal Defenses

The hill to the west was a strong point in the system of permanent Federal defenses, started in 1862, which extended to the river on both sides of town. Artillery was emplaced here from time to time.
Location: West End Avenue, in Centennial Park, near the Parthenon

N 1 5
XVI Corps Line of Departure
Dec. 15, 1864

Supported by a division of Wilson’s cavalry, A.J. Smith’s Corps moved westward astride Harding Road, displacing Ector’s Confederate Brigade from positions across the pike northward to the west of Richland Creek. This brigade outposted the Confederate left flank; the main line was along Hillsboro Pike.
Location: West End Avenue, at Orleans Drive

N 1 4
Defense by Ector’s Brigade
Dec. 15, 1864

In position from here northward along high ground, Ector’s Brigade of French’s Confederate Division, commanded by Col. Daniel Coleman, outposted the left of Hood’s line. Attacked by the Federal XVI Corps, supported by artillery and part of the Cavalry Corps, it was overwhelmed. It withdrew southeast to Hillsboro Pike.
Location: West End Avenue, at Ridgefield Avenue

N 1 13
Federal Defenses
Dec. 2-15, 1864

Near here, the interior defensive lines ran southwest to cross Harding Pike; the total length of these works was about 7 miles. First garrisoned by Wood’s IV Corps, it was occupied Dec. 15 by Donaldson’s Division of Quarter-master employees. Part of the breastworks can be seen on Vanderbilt campus, 300 yards west.
Location: 21st Avenue South, at entrance to Vanderbilt Campus

N 1 12
Outer Federal Defenses
Dec. 2, 1864

Here the outer Federal defensive line, which stretched 7 miles around the city, crossed Hillsboro Pike. It was used at the commencement of battle on Dec. 15 by Wood’s IV Corps as a line of departure for the main attack. Faint traces of the old entrenchments are visible a few yards west.
Location: 21st Avenue South, at Bernard Avenue

N 1 11
IV Corps Drop-Off Line
Dec. 15, 1864

Using the defensive salient 500 yards east, Wood’s Corps, with the XVI Corps on its right, swung southwest to envelop the left of the Confederate line, 1 1/2 miles south, and pushed it back in spite of determined resistance. The XXIII Corps (Schofield) followed in support.
Location: 21st Avenue South, at Linden Avenue

N 1 10
Assault on Montgomery Hill
Dec. 15, 1864

500 yards east of here, Maj. Gen. T.J. Wood led an assault by his IV Corps against the Confederate skirmish line on the hill, eventually carrying it. Attacking the main line about 600 yards south, Wood was unable to take it by direct assault, the divisions of Loring and Walthall holding fast until the XVI Corps, moving past their left, forced withdrawal.
Location: 21st Avenue South, at Cedar Lane

N 1 9
Redoubt No. 1
Dec. 15, 1864

Stewart’s Confederate Corps held this salient of the left of Hood’s defenses. A thin infantry line ran south behind a stone wall on the east side of the pike. After the routing of Ector’s Brigade on Harding Pike and successive overrunning of Redoubts 3,4 & 5 to the south, Stewart’s position was flanked; he withdrew southeast toward Granny White Pike.
Location: TN 106 (Hillsboro Pike), near intersection with Hampton Avenue

N 1 8
Confederate Outpost
Dec. 15, 1864

100 yards west was Redoubt No. 3 in the Confederate system of detached works beyond the main line. It was overrun by the enveloping attack of Wood’s IV Corps from the northwest.
Location: TN 106 (Hillsboro Pike), south of intersection with Woodmont Boulevard

N 1 7
Lumsden’s Defense
Dec. 15, 1864

0.3 mile west was Redoubt No. 4 in Hood’s detached supporting works. Garrisoned by Lumsden’s Battery of smoothbore Napoleons, supported by 100 men of the 29th Alabama Infantry under Capt. Foster, it was finally overrun by the assault of 12 infantry and 4 dismounted cavalry regiments, supported by four Federal batteries.
Location: TN 106 (Hillsboro Pike), at Hobbs Road

N 1 6
Taking of Redoubt No. 5
Dec. 15, 1864

Hood’s Redoubt No. 5 was on this hill. Couch’s division of the XXIII Corps, sweeping to the south of the route of Smith’s XVI, captured it and the hills to the east late in the afternoon. Wilson’s cavalry, crossing the highway about 2 miles south, advanced rapidly eastward, flanking the Confederate defenses.
Location: TN 106 (Hillsboro Pike), 0.8 mile south of marker N 1 7

N 1 16
Schofield’s Jump-Off Line
Dec. 15, 1864

The Federal defensive line ran northeast and southwest through here. It was garrisoned by Schofield’s Corps on arrival here after the Battle of Franklin, Dec. 2, and later became a line of depature for the advance into support positions: Cruft’s Provisional Division then occupied this line in reserve.
Location: 12th Avenue South, south of intersection with Acklen Avenue

N 1 15
Confederate Defenses
Dec. 15, 1864

Stewart’s Corps, Army of Tennessee, held this part of Hood’s original line, extending east about 1500 yards, and west and south about 1 mile to Hillsboro Pike. After the turning of his left, about 4:00 p.m., Stewart established a new position extending southward, to the west of Granny White Pike.
Location: Granny White Pike, near intersection with Woodmont Boulevard

N 1 14
Confederate Defenses
Dec. 15, 1864

After being outflanked by the advance of the Federal XVI Corps (Smith), Loring and Walthall put their divisions in a defensive line west of this road, facing westward. Here, their determined defense brought Federal advances against the Confederate left to a close for the day.
Location: Granny White Pike, near intersection with Shackleford Road

N 2 3
Schofield’s Assault
Dec. 16, 1864

The Federal XXIII Corps attacked southeastward from positions about 3/4 mile west. Coordinating with the attack of Smith’s XVI Corps, and assisted by pressure by Wilson’s encircling cavalry from the south, its action brought about the final collapse of Hood’s defenses.
Location: Granny White Pike, at Harding Place

N 2 2
Smith’s Assault
Dec. 16, 1864

The Federal XVI Corps attacked southward along this road. After violent artillery bombardment, McArthur’s Division took the hill to the west about 4:00 p.m., precipitating the route of Hood’s Army. This hill is named for Col. W.M. Shy, 20th TN Inf., killed in the desperate defense which he commanded.
Location: Granny White Pike, between Harding Place and Sewanee Road

N 2 1
Confederate Position
Dec. 16, 1864

Stewart’s Corps, badly mauled during the first day, withdrew at night to a line extending eastward. Lee’s Corps, forming the right wing, extended the line across the Franklin Pike. Cheatham’s Corps, on Stewart’s left, extended the line westward, and following the hills, curved south. Chalmers’ Cavalry Division covered the left flank.
Location: Granny White Pike, at Sewanee Road

N 1 18
Federal Defensive Line
Dec. 15, 1864

The Federal defensive line ran NE and SW through here. Ft. Casino was on the hill to the west, Fort Negley to the northeast. Garrisoned on Dec. 2 by Schofield’s XXIII Corps, it was occupied by Cruft’s Provisional Divison when the battle began. The XXIII Corps moved out in support of the main effort, 5 miles southwest.
Location: 8th Avenue South, on south slope of hill below City Reservoir

N 1 17
Lee’s Position
Dec. 15, 1864

Here, Stephen D. Lee’s Corps, Army of Tennessee, bestrode the highway and railroad. Cheatham’s Corps held the right of the line, which ran northeast about 2 miles to Rains’ Hill. After the Confederate left was broken in the afternoon’s fighting, Lee’s Corps fell back to high ground about 1 1/2 miles south.
Location: TN 6 (Franklin Pike), near Thompson Lane

N 2 4
Confederate Defenses
Dec. 16, 1864

Lee’s Corps held the right flank of the line in the final stages of the battle, linking with Stewart to the west. Here it extended east, then south around Peach Orchard Hill. Violent attacks by Steedman’s brigades were repulsed bloodily; Lee did not withdraw until the left and center of the Confederate line had collapsed.
Location: TN 6 (Franklin Pike), north of intersection with Elysian Fields Road

N 1 19
Cheatham’s Line
Dec. 15, 1864

Holding a line running NE and SW and with its right on the N.C. & St. L. R.R. at Rains’ Cut, Cheatham’s Confederate Corps stood off the attacks of Steedman’s brigades. Part of Cheatham’s Corps was moved to the support of Stewart’s line late in the afternoon; collapse of the left wing forced Cheatham’s withdrawal southward during the night.
Location: 4th Avenue South, at Peachtree Street

N 1 21
Steedman’s Line of Departure
Dec. 15, 1864

The left of the Federal main defensive line rested on the Cumberland River north of here, extending southeast to the Murfreesboro Pike. From this line, Steedman’s Provisional Detachment of six brigades made the secondary attack against the Confederate right. Thomas’ main attack was delivered against the Confederate left.
Location: Hermitage Avenue, near entrance to Memorial Hospital

N 1 20
Steedman’s Position
Dec. 15, 1864

From a line of departure running NE-SW through here, Maj. Gen. Steedman’s Provisional Detachment of 6 brigades at 6:00 a.m. launched a holding attack southwestward against the Confederate right, on high ground about 2 miles south. The main attack, about 5 miles west, enveloped the Confederate left after an all-day fight.
Location: Lafayette Street, at Claiborne Street

3 A 21
Hood’s Retreat
Dec. 16, 1864

In this neighborhood, late in the evening of his decisive defeat at Nashville, Hood reorganized his army for withdrawal southward. Lt. Gen. Stephen D. Lee’s Corps, supported by Chalmers’ Cavalry Division, covered the withdrawal, fighting continuously until the army bivouacked near Spring Hill, 21 miles S., the night of Dec. 17th.
Location: U.S. 31 (Franklin Pike), Davidson County, near Brentwood


Source: “Tennessee Historical Markers,” Tennessee Historical Commission, 1996.

TOP of PAGE

BONPS HOME