Photos

 

Stanley Horn at Marker Dedication

Above:  Photo of Stanley Horn, taken during the dedication of the historical marker located at the corner of Granny White Pike and Battery Lane in 1964.  Dr. Horn was  a Nashville editor and businessman who authored nine books about the Civil War.  In 1956 , he published The Decisive Battle of Nashville, the small book which many consider to be the definitive work on the battle, including its detailed descriptions of the officers, the armies, the battlefield and the course of the fighting both before and during the two days of conflict on December 15 – 16,  1864, and the impact of Hood’s Tennessee campaign and the Battle of Nashville on the war. Photo courtesy of our partner Tennessee Historical Society.

_______________________________________________________________

Photographs of Granny White Pike in 1935

Granny White Pike in 1935

Riders on Granny White Pike in 1935


Photographs of the Nashville Battlefield in the 1880s


Above:  Shy’s Hill


Above:  Bradford House

 


Above:  Peach Orchard Hill

 


Above:  Travellers Rest Plantation

 


Above:  Looking Southwest of Granny White Pike


Above:  Looking South toward the Brentwood Hills, possibly from the Lea Farm

Hospital camp 1863
Above:  Federal hospital camp on outskirts of city of Nashville, circa 1863 (note Capital building at far left of photo)

16th Ill. infantry camp
Above:  16th Illinois Infantry encampment in Nashville

BON

Col. Ordway BON Map

Ft Negley sketch

Above: Sketch of Fort Negley by an unknown Union soldier. Notice the troops camped on the slopes of the hill. Construction was performed mostly by freedmen labor.

nashville-view-4-loc1

 

South Nashville from Univ of Nashville

Union supply depot Nashville

Above:  Union supply depot located at the corner of Summer and Broad Streets in Nashville, facing the tracks of the Tennessee & Alabama Railroad. It was erected by Union troops to funnel supplies to their armies in the field south of Nashville.


Lealand Residence

Original photograph of Lea-Davis Residence, “Lealand.” Address: 1039 Tyne Boulevard. George W. Thompson 1889-1890. “Two red brick auxiliary buildings of the estate of the late Judge John M. Lea have been united and restored as a residence by the Rev. and Mrs. Paschall Davis. A 35-room mansion and auxiliary buildings, called Lealand, were built here in 1884, and the home was rebuilt following a fire three years later. Made of handmade brick faced with brown sandstone, Lealand had its own waterworks, gasworks and fire fighting equipment. Closed for 25 years beginning in 1912, Lealand was demolished in 1940 when the estate was subdivided. The home was built by Judge John M. Lea and his wife, the former Elizabeth Overton, daughter of Judge John Overton.” Excerpt from Nashville: A Short History and Selected Buildings, copyright 1974 by the Historic Commission of Metropolitan Nashville – Davidson County, Tennessee.

_________________________________________________________________________

Fort at Hyde's Ferry 1865 - map to scale (00013219xAE58A)_________________________________________________________________________

Fort Harker 1865 - map to scale (00013215xAE58A)_________________________________________________________________________

Redoubt 1865 - map to scale (00013220xAE58A)